Monday, August 25, 2008

Chirpy

Sunday evening I took care of Chirpy, my 15 year old cockatiel. I filled his food dish, gave him a special treat of seeds, and filled his water dish with fresh water. We talked and whistled while this was going on. I am very sad to report we found him lying on the bottom of the cage this morning. He gave no indication last night that anything was wrong. He didn't act sick; nothing was out of the ordinary. The average lifespan of a cockatiel is 12 to 15 years. My consolation is that he was happy up to the end.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

NO!!!!!!!!!! Oh, Betsy, I am SO SAD!! Precious Chirpy! Oh, I am so glad you got to spend a little time with him in conversation before he left his world. Oh, I could cry! And to think that he could have been here with me, since you had graciously offered to give him to me since I had such an interest in birds. Goodness, I would have been devastated if he had lived for 15 years with you and then only a few weeks with me. I would have concluded that he died of a broken heart! But at least he stayed with you and died of old age in the home that he loved, with the people (and MANY cats!) that loved him nearby. See you in Heaven, Chirpy!

Lisa said...

I'm glad Chirpy was still alive while this blog was put together, because we can remember him each time we look at that little cartoon image of him in the Adams' Family Farm logo!

Lisa said...

i hope that you will bury Chirpy in a nice place in your backyard so that we can visit his grave! can you mark his grave in some kind of way too, please?

Joy said...

Aw, I'm sad that Chirpy is gone but I'm glad he lived a long and good life!

Lisa - You just crack me up. The fact that you made this blog and your comments. You're awesome!