Sunday, August 17, 2008

Chickens on the loose

I was just outside with the chickens to gather three eggs. My life is so ridiculous! I brought the girls' water container in the house to scrub and bleach it (my Sunday job). When I took it back to the pen, I didn't have the gate closed. It was open maybe a foot!

If I'm in there, they want to be with me and don't wander out usually. Well, Harriet bolted across the "play pen" and out the gate. She raced toward the big maple tree. She caught a huge bug!

Red, not to be left out of anything, ran after her. Harriet, with dinner in beak, raced across the yard toward the garden, Red at her heels (if chickens have heels). They went behind the evergreen tree and out of sight. I go in that direction to get them as Red comes flying up the yard with the bug in HER beak. It was a battle to see who was going to get the special treat.

Meanwhile, gentle Sophia is meandering out of the play pen and into the grass to scratch around and find something to eat. I am trying to keep the two big birds in the yard and back to the pen. It wasn't working. I ran in the house and got a container with some treats for them. They love to see us exit the house with a food container. Red came running to me, followed by Harriet. ( I missed who got to eat the big bug.)

I walked into the play pen with them following me. Meanwhile, Sophia is staying in a small area, checking out the ground for juicy snacks. I got down on her level and talked quietly to her. She came right over and we walked into the play pen. WHEW!

Parke wasn't home, so it was interesting doing this myself. Thought you'd enjoy my adventure. :-)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

so adorable! i love that you're blogging now, betsy. keep it up! count me as one of your loyal readers!