Sunday, May 1, 2011

Egg Bound Ellie 4-30-11

Ellie hasn't be right since Wed afternoon. After researching on backyardchickens.com, I think she was/is egg bound. That means an egg didn't form right and come out.

When we went to a nursing home Wed for a chicken program, I took her out of the nesting box. She had not laid yet. I think I disturbed the process.

On backyardchickens, they recommend sitz baths to relax the muscles, along with massage, to get her to expel the egg. She did expel a yellow glob. I gave her 5 baths over 3 days. Not sure what else to do for her. She's somewhat better, but not totally. She isn't talking, which she usually does constantly. I put her out with the other girls today, after 3 days of being in the bathroom. I am going to try to locate a vet who knows about chickens.

Here she is having a sitz bath. Then a pic of the bathroom. She has medicated water, grilled chicken, yogurt, cooked and dry oatmeal.

Then there's a pic of the her with the baby shampoo I keep on hand for the hens when they need cleaned up.

She is an excellent patient. She trusts me so much. She never fusses at what I'm doing with her.

No comments: