Monday, June 25, 2012

Pearl's Bad Foot 6-3-12


The past couple weeks we have noticed that Pearl lays down a lot, which is not like her at all. Today I noticed that her one foot was swollen and had a scab on the bottom.  I contacted Penn State Poultry Extension to see what it was.  It is a very serious infection that is almost always fatal. Neither the vet at Penn State or our vet gave any hope that she could be helped. A chicken can injure the foot, and an infection gets in there. I got on www.backyardchickens.com and did a search there on the problem.  There are two remedies. 1. There are chemicals for koi fish that get skin ulcers. By putting the fish in it for 5 minutes a day, the ulcers disappear. It has been successful in treating bumble foot also. I called every fish store within 50 miles of me, with no luck in finding the chemicals. I found in online in Georgia and had it 2-day shipped. I am soaking her foot for 5 minutes a day.  2. Surgery.  Some guy on backyardchickens.com tells you how to do it and has pics. Parke and I decided to do that also. We will probably have to do it a second time in the weeks to come to get out all the infection in there. For now, I am keeping Pearl in the bathroom so she doesn't have to move around or get it dirty. I am determined to do what I can to save her life.

No comments: